The Dialogue: Jane Aldridge

Jane Aldridge seaofshoes sea of shoes


Vintage beauty, Jane Aldridge of uber popular blog, Sea of Shoes, might have made a name for herself modeling her enviable shoe collection (which includes everything from Dries Van Noten to Alaia) but it's her keen eye for detail, intricate styling techniques and unique aesthetic among a sea of bloggers that has held everyone's attention over the years. She was one of the first fashion blogs I came across that I still have bookmarked to this day. Maybe it's the porcelain skin. Maybe it's the magazine worthy photography. Maybe it's the expert cat eye. However, I do know that it is definitely her vintage clad Texan style rivaling the looks seen at fashion week that has me coming back for more. 

This week, I was fortunate enough to ask Jane some of the questions I have always wanted to ask. So what, im a bit of a fangirl. You should be, too. 

Name and Occupation:   Jane Aldridge, Blogger

- Where are you based and why do you love it?   Dallas, Texas. My family has deep roots in Texas and I have a great affinity for the character of people here. I'm an avid thrifter/junker, and Texas is a haven for that. Going out to West Texas to see the plains is a yearly pilgrimage for me. Texas is a very special place for me.

How can fashion newbies start to incorporate bolder pieces into their wardrobes in a way that's not overwhelming for them?  I guess you have to find something you really love! If you feel uncomfortable in it, it will show. When it doubt, dress it down with jeans.

Jane Aldridge fashion blogger sweater jeans

 When did you realize that you were in love with fashion? I always loved to dress up as a kid. That's what people knew me for in grade school. I always looked at magazines, but by the time I was 11 I was memorizing the runway collections. I started learning more about vintage and my mom and I would spend every weekend at thrift stores scouring for crazy pieces and great labels. We also started sewing and dying our own clothes around that time. It's just always been my life!

- Your blog, Sea of Shoes, is one of the first blogs that gained notoriety. What made you want to start a blog in the first place?  I lived in a small town, went to a small charter school, and didn't really have anyone to talk about fashion with, except for my mom who loves and has a deep knowledge of fashion. I was 15 and honestly just was hoping to connect with a few people who loved it the way I did. It was such a small close-knit community then. I miss that. It made me so happy that even one person read it!

- If you could collaborate with anyone, who would it be? Haha, Thom Browne! He's incredible. I want to help him design his runway sets. That's my dream!

Jane Aldridge denim dress blogger

- Neutrals or brights? Brights, every time!

- What's your signature drink?  A cup of Yorkshire tea with lots of cream.


- It's Saturday morning. Where can we find you?  Up at 6 AM, because the dogs never let us sleep in. Then we start to cook! My boyfriend Jeff and I have a food blog (Thyme & Temp) that we love doing together and it's a huge source of joy for us to spend time on that! It's funny, even on weekends I am still blogging non-stop. Do what you love!


- What are your favorite Instagram accounts?  I love Douglas A Hart and Camille B Waddington's accounts for inspiration. Laura Kitty has an amazing eye for vintage cataloguing. I'm also so inspired by the_corner_store's take on vintage.


Jane Aldridge

- How would you describe your personal style? I prefer to wear mostly vintage! I have pet relationships with all the clothes I own. My personal style is based on whatever I've found lately.

- Heels or flats?  Heels! 


- Favorite classic brand? Favorite emerging brand?  My favorite classic brand is Giorgio Armani. He designs with such a singular eye and runs his company with such integrity. More than ever his clothes look fresh to me. I love his color palettes, always. My favorite emerging brand....Faustine Steinmetz.


- Which luxury item will you always splurge on? Shoes of course!! 


- Before bed beauty routine? I use all Korean products I buy from Memebox.com! I start with a lemony cleanser, pat a toner on, mist on an essence, massage few different serums in for a few minutes, then finish with a rich oil or heavy night cream. 


Jane Aldridge fashion blogger

- What's the best piece of advice you've ever received? Always trust your instinct, and don't worry if other people don't get it yet!

- You travel a lot. Which place have you traveled to that inspired you the most? Tucson, Arizona is this amazing hub of young creatives, artists, and history. I am obsessed, I could totally move there! The beauty of the desert landscape was breathtaking. I am so glad I got to see it and I can't wait to go back.


-  What's your favorite novel? Publication? Website? Let's say Dog of the South by Charles Portis, it's a great dark comedy and I just love everything he's written. My favorite publication is CR Book! And my favorite website..is eBay.


Follow Jane on Twitter & Instagram 
Check out her blog seaofshoes (as if you hadn't already!) 

Jane Aldridge fashion blogger
florals fashion blogger


No comments