Let's Talk About It: Who Is Your Style Icon?

manrepeller.com
The good, the bag and the low rise denim. Style inspirations from the very beginning. Who is your icon?

It started with Blair Waldorf. 

I began the Gossip Girl series years after it was already off the air. I procrastinated in clicking the play button on Netflix. I eyeballed the box set sitting in the corner of my bestfriends' room, dust lightly covered the shiny teen beauties, a water stain smudged at the edges. I knew that there was something about this series. It was almost as if I was seven again, about to watch Dragon Tales for the first time. I was right. I watched the first two seasons about eight times before finally moving onto the third. I fell in love with a doe-eyed brunette made entirely of snarky comments and headbands. I emulated everything she wore. Pearl necklace. Check. Capes. Check. Bright tights. Check. My closet began to burst at the seams and all that flowed out had lace and pleats. 

There were others before her (but never quite as strong) A girl named Quinn in my Girl Scouts group. She had freckles and wore really cool sketchers. There was Cassie and Angie in fourth grade; my two bestfriends who had a large collection of low rise Abercrombie jeans and flip flops. In middle school, i'm pretty sure my style icon's were the drop outs attending Warped Tour and the 'Scene' kids nodding along to music beside me in a pitch black room, heady beats thumping under our Vans and Element skater sneaks. 

...
I wouldn't take any of it back, though. The absolutely terrible, the good and the bad are all a part of who I am and how my style has evolved today. I have a lot of style icons these days, especially as the internet bloomed into the inspiration processing machine it is now. Pinterest. Tumblr. Instagram. All it takes is a quick browse and i'm three hours deep in a board titled, 'Pantone Pants' Lately, Leandra Medine, Pernille Teisbaek, Tamu Mcpherson (and countless other babes) have been my saviors. People that encourage me to focus on what you love, rather than what's in style that season. They showed me that wearing whatever piece you discover can be uniquely made into your own. 

Okay, okay. Enough about me. How about you? Who is your personal style icon then and now? Post pictures in the comments. Let's get inspired. 

No comments