15 Style Lessons To Learn From Carrie Bradshaw


If there is one television character that taught us about style, it's Carrie Bradshaw. Not only do we relate to her in terms of chasing personal style but as a writer, a New Yorker (whether you live there or not) a lovestruck woman or just as a lady trying to navigate her life and buy as many shoes as possible even if that means being a few days late on rent. The quote When I first moved to New York and I was totally broke, sometimes I bought Vogue instead of dinner. I found it fed me more.” has resonated with more fashion obsessed girls than The Devil Wears Prada and Breakfast at Tiffany's scenes combined. In honor of my rewatching the show from the beginning for the seventeenth time, I bring you the rules of Carrie Bradshaw's style, starting with the obvious. There aren't any that cannot be broken. 

1. There are no rules. 

2. Don't be afraid to mismatch prints. And by "not afraid" I don't mean stripes and polka dots. I mean PRINTS. Any prints. Besides, stripes and dots are now considered a neutral in their own right.

3. Bring on the menswear. You can still look like a lady in a vest, blazer or trousers.


4.  Heels over everything. At the expense of your feet, of course.
5. Don't shy away from volume. Big fur coats (watch out for PETA) oversized beach hats, baby doll lace tanks and pleated or tulle skirts are all winners here.

6.  If you like it then you should put a belt on it.

7. The more embellishments the better. 

8. Color is most important.



9. Think corsages are only for Prom? Think again. 

10. Remember when we discussed 'less is more' with French Girl style? That's not the case here. More is more is more is more.

11. A feminine, flirty dress goes a long way.


12. Going to a party? Hello! Sequins.

13. You better own a tutu. You know, just in case.

14. Always have an evening dress in your closet. You never know when you'll be invited to a rooftop party, late night event or a spontaneous trip to Paris. Carrie was always prepared.

15. Be yourself, unapologetically. Last but not least. Style isn't personal unless it's true to you, what you do and what you love. If it's not personal, it's trendy. There's a huge difference.

Favorite quotes

I've spent $40,000 on shoes and I have no place to live? I will literally be the old woman who lived in her shoes!

Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed. Maybe they just need to run free until they find someone just as wild to run with them.

Women come to New York for the two L's: Labels and Love.

I like my money where I can see it - hanging in my closet.

The most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone to love the you you love, well, that's just fabulous

Beauty is fleeting, but a rent-controlled apartment overlooking the park is forever
Are you a Sex and The City fan? What part of Carrie Bradshaw's wardrobe did you want the most? Let me know what you think in the comments below. 

No comments